



A couple weeks ago my fiance and I ran across a yardsale.In the back of the garage was a working Guerrilla War game. Dirty but it plays just fine. Price sticker on the marquee was 150 bucks. I thought nah, loved the game, remembered playing it and would love to restore it but too many other projects. So we left. We discussed it and decided to go back. We return, offer the guy 120 bucks and next thing I know I'm jamming into the back of our Dodge Caravan, with help of course.
It's in the stage of stripping off the side art, which I can buy on the net with no problem. My problem is the CPO. I cannot, repeat, cannot find a cpo for this game anywhere. So I am planning on restoring the one I have. The color part of cpo is dirty but passable. The black vinyl ( it's not vinyl but some kind of plastic I think ) is worn and ripped. My plan is to bondo in the worn parts of the overlay, sand it all gently until it blends then repaint the lower portion of the CPO by hand, which is a black horizon. Keeping the top part, the sky etc.. all original. I know it sounds nuts but I might be able to pull it off.
Bottom pic :it's dirty but really not bad considering. Brings back some memories
3rd pic from top: shows the poor shape of the control panel but it's mostly the bottom portion, the black vinyl bit. The top, colored part of the cpo is dirty but not too bad. I'm still trying to come up with something that will bring out the color.
2nd pic from top: close up of the wear damage. My thought was to clean it up, sand it lightly, smooth on a thin layer of bondo, dry and wet sand it gently. I would need to repaint all the black on that horizon, including the palm trees. However I need to find a paint that can adhere to the vinyl and even if I did a perfect job I don't think it would look good enough. I need to carefully consider this as I only have one chance to get it right.
Top pic: The sideart seems ok but a closer look shows many deep scratches and chunks missing. The other side is worse. I can actually get reproduction side art on the net so I will be stripping this down and replacing it.
Until the next entry..
Cool machine! Restoring one here and am having trouble finding the side art.
ReplyDelete